Butler's Blog — Algoma Eastern Railway

Camp Manitou & The Willisville Fire Tower

Algoma Eastern Railway Bay of Islands Camp Manitou Fire Tower Georgian Bay La Cloche Willisville Willisville Mountain

Camp Manitou & The Willisville Fire Tower

Jack (John) Burke, the Fire Ranger, at the Willisville Fire Tower started a journal on July 12, 1927, which may be when the tower opened.'Visitors to the Tower' were signed in with the date and where they were from.On August 13, 1927 a group from Camp Manitou visited the Fire Tower and the x indicates how many times the visitor climbed the Tower. The Bull family were well represented and below is a photo of some of the Camp Manitou campers, notice the M, at Bull's camp in Miller Bay, Charlton. The photo is most likely from the same time period.Thanks for...

Read more →


'Old Agony' or 'The Blueberry Express'

1930s Algoma Eastern Railway Birch Island Canadian Canadian history Canadian Pacific CNR CPR Group of Seven Killarney Provincial Park La Cloche Northern Ontario train Whitefish Falls Willisville

'Old Agony' or 'The Blueberry Express'

The Train The Algoma Eastern Railway connected Sudbury and Little Current in October of 1913. The train carried passengers and mixed freight on the 87 mile long line.  It was nicknamed the ‘Old Agony’ because it took  4 hours to travel from Sudbury to Little Current.  The McKerrow to Little Current stretch , however, is fondly remembered as the ‘Blueberry Express’.  On April 4, 1919, Ernie Willis became the first Postmaster of Willisville. Everyone now had another reason to wait for the train and there was usually quite a gathering at Mile 64, the Willisville Station. From 1914 to 1918,...

Read more →