Butler's Blog — Hudson Bay Company

A brief history of Fort La Cloche up to 1858

Bay of Islands Fort La Cloche Georgian Bay Hudson Bay Company

A brief history of Fort La Cloche up to 1858

The History of Fort La Cloche Reprinted with permission from;Culture, Heritage and TourismHudson's Bay Company ArchivesArchives of Manitoba Prepared and completed in December 19, 1934     This place is mentioned as early as 1st September, 1761, by Alexander Henry, Senior, who then reports reaching:           "An island, called La Cloche, because there is here a rock, standing on a plain, which, being struck, rings like a bell."     It appears that no fort existed here when Henry passed, nor in 1789, when Roderick McKenzie visited the place. Ernest Voorhis in ‘Historical Forts and Trading Posts of the French Regime and of the...

Read more →