Butler's Blog — The Pool

La Cloche Whiskey Smugglers & American Prohibition

1930s Al Capone Big Bill Thompson Canadian history Killarney Provincial Park La Cloche liquor smuggling McGregor Bay prohibition The Pool whiskey smugglers

La Cloche Whiskey Smugglers & American Prohibition

Americans and Prohibition The Prohibition years in the United States lasted from 1920 until 1933 and as well as giving rise to the American gangster it became the law that was disregarded by the majority of American citizens. Al Capone and Chicago’s gangster mayor “Big Bill Thompson’ were two memorable figures both associated with prohibition and gangsters running alcohol from Canada into the United States. ‘Big Bill Thompson’ and many of his friends enjoyed their frequent visits to La Cloche so much so that ‘Big Bill’ built a lodge at Three Narrows Lake. He accessed the lodge from the Pool...

Read more →


How Killarney Provincial Park Began!!

1930s A. Y. jackson art Baie Fine Canadian Canadian history Franklin Carmichael Grace Lake Group of Seven Killarney Provincial Park La Cloche Northern Ontario photography The Pool

How Killarney Provincial Park Began!!

How Killarney Provincial Park began!! Sheer devilment by Newland Spreadborough!! From Cottage Life's 1993 story about the Spreadborough Cottage Yacht Registry and an interview with 84 year old Margaret (Spreadborough) Hooton who spent her first summer at the Pool, Baie Fine in 1917. 'An entry in the yacht registry from September 2, 1931 shows a sketch of four small figures bent under packs and canoes. The signature is A. Y. Jackson. "Father called him 'Haywire Jackson," Margaret chuckles. The famed Group of Seven artist was entranced by the Trout Lake pines and Trekked to paint them. "Father told Haywire that...

Read more →


La Cloche Industry

art Canadian Canadian history Grace Lake Group of Seven Killarney Provincial Park La Cloche McGregor Bay Northern Ontario The Pool

La Cloche Industry

From the exhibit 'Through The Camera Lens; La Cloche 1900 - 1950' curated by Jon Charles Butler & Kerry Butler at the Art Gallery of Sudbury in 2018. Industry In 1889, John Charlton developed Timber Berth 11 with The White Fish River Improvement Company. This company built the first dams and timber slides on the Whitefish River and in later years Manley Chew Lumber Company of Midland, Ontario maintained a Timber Office at Willisville. The dams allowed winter cutting and the river transfer of timber for process and use in southern markets. The last recorded log drive on the Whitefish River...

Read more →